Jackson's latest album, The Duke, is an album of covers released this past June and features wild re-imaginings of Duke Ellington's greatest hits. Jackson has some help from singers Iggy Pop ("It Don't Mean a Thing") and Sharon Jones ("I Ain't Got Nothing but the Blues").
On today's episode of World Cafe, Jackson explains to host David Dye some of the rules he set for himself ? for example, no horns appear on the album ? and how those rules helped unlock his creative process. Jackson is touring in support of The Duke with a newer, larger band called, inevitably, the Bigger Band.
- Duke Ellington with Ella Fitzgerald, "Caravan"
- Nat King Cole, "Caravan"
- Joe Jackson, "Caravan"
- Joe Jackson, "Rockin in Rhythm"
- Duke Ellington, "I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues"
- Joe Jackson, "I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues"
- Joe Jackson, "It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"