Last updated 6:05PM ET
October 19, 2017
Nebraska News
Nebraska News
Flooded wells should be tested
(2008-06-05)
(NET Radio) - The state Department of Health and Human Services advises people not to drink water from a well that was flooded, or has a change in color, odor, or taste. There are several alternatives, including using bottled water. DHHS says household bleach can be used to disinfect water by adding 1/8 teaspoon of bleach to one gallon of water. Mix the solution thoroughly and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Water can also be boiled for one minute to kill bacteria. However, if the water is suspected of having a nitrate level higher than 10 parts per million, it should not be boiled. Boiling will concentrate the nitrates and increase the health risk.

For information on approved water testing laboratories click here




© Copyright 2017, NET Radio
ABOUT | VOLUNTEER | PRIVACY INFO
NET Radio a service of Nebraska Educational Telecommunications
1800 N. 33rd St. Lincoln, NE 68503
402.472.6141 | 1.888.638.7346 | FAX - 402.472.2403
Email: radio@netNebraska.org
Questions for the NET Webmaster
Copyright © NET