The First Friday Art Walk on September 5th from 6:00 to 10:00pm will a HUGE event with art, music, demonstrations, tastings and in more than 27 participating venues. Art Walk welcomes two new additions for September: European Café, 207 Park Central East, which debuts with featured artist John Fitzgibbon, and new sponsor Discovery Center of Springfield, 438 E. St. Louis, which debuts with an Art Installation: "Science Meets Art." Art Walk’s university-sponsored galleries are back for the fall semester with shows including "Random Access: Burlesque, Boxing and Other Bits" at Drury University’s Pool Art Center Gallery; two ceramics shows – "Haejung Lee: Interpersonal Relationship Part 2" and "Jeff Johnston: Cairns, a Personal Journey" – in MSU Brick City’s east and west galleries; a cultural exploration of Saudi Arabia at MSU Center of International Programs; the MSU Department of Art + Design "Sculpture, Drawing, and Painting Students’ Biennial Exhibition" at MSU Student Exhibition Center, and "Mike Meyers: Beginning Again", featuring more than 60 small-scale paintings and two-dimensional ceramic pieces, at OTC Fine Art Gallery at The Gillioz, along with paintings and drawings from Summer 2014 classes in the Gillioz Theatre lobby.
Join Fresh Gallery as it celebrates its 5 Year Anniversary; experience a select show of some of the region’s finest local artists with The Creamery Arts Center’s "Caught my Eye," the 3rd Annual Member Invitational Show; join the creatives at Arts & Letters for "Nick Tarr: Art for Art's Sake," a craft beer tasting with Piney River Brewery and live music by Sabrina Deets; and visit Obelisk Home for a new show with T.D. Scott: "After A Storm."
Additional September Highlights include:
• Diverse Fragments by Gordon Lindsey at Art Inspired
• Featured Artist Bill Shultz at BookMarx
• Outside of Action; Back & Forth Between Simplicity of Structure and Anxiety of Performance and Fire In the Middle at ideaXfactory
• The Show Must Go On: Theaters and Entertainment Venues in Springfield at the History Museum on the Square at the Fox Theatre
• WELCOME TO GRAPEOGRAPHY: Photographs From my Life in a Missouri Vineyard by Joyce McMurtry at Park Central Branch Library
• Featured Artist Clarissa French at Qdoba Mexican Grill
• Featured Artist Janelle Patterson at RSVPaint
• New lines of Blown Glass Mugs and "Crackle-Finish" Pilsner glasses and live demonstrations at Springfield Hot Glass Studio
• Open House at Springfield Police Museum at The Calaboose
Get details on all these shows, and more, at www.ffaw.org or by calling (417) 862-2787 ext. 25 or (417) 832-0754. Also, be sure to join the Art Walk folks for their new monthly daytime event, Second Saturday, noon-5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13.