First Friday Art Walk is back on the 1st Friday of August (August 1st) featuring some amazing art juxtapositions! Biotechnology meets art in the exhibit "The Tea House" at ideaXfactory; VHS images contrast with the “era of high-definition obsession” in "Video Daze: A Celebration of the Poor Image" at Arts & Letters; visual art and word art combine in Michelle Swift’s "The Weapon is Will" at BookMarx; wild animals become artists with "Impressions of the Wild" at Fresh Gallery, featuring artwork by animals at Dickerson Park Zoo and Rutledge Wilson Farm. Plus, enjoy a wide range of other new art shows, live music, live art demonstrations and much more in 19 participating Art Walk venues from 6-10 p.m. Aug. 1.
Additional August highlights include:
· The Photography of Ted Pagel and Works by Alex Gonazales at Art Inspired
· 2,451 miles: Celebrating Route 66 at The Creamery Arts Center
· Acrylics by Margaret Grooms and Pottery by Heather Barr at DB Design Salon
· Artists Marian Chamberlain and Angel Brame at Fresh Gallery
· The Show Must Go On: Springfield Theaters and Entertainment Venues at The History Museum on the Square at The Fox Theatre
· Featured Artist Abi Post and Music by The Eskimo Girls at Nomad
· Shelly Forbes: Consider This at Obelisk Home
· Works of Art by teens from the Rare Breed Youth Drop in Center, plus Authors at Art Walk with authors Paul Bass, Yvonne Erwin, Joyce Ragland and Julian Lynn at Park Central Branch Library
· Featured Artist Diane Minge at Qdoba Mexican Grill
· Featured Artist Madeline Brice at RSVPaint
· Springfield Police Museum at The Calaboose reopens to the public
· Artists Dan Morris, Rebecca Burrell, Angel Brame and Sarah Hurlburt Frana at University Plaza Hotel
And again this month the Springfield Art Museum, located next to Phelps Grove Park at 1111 E. Brookside Drive (just west of National & Bennett), will join First Friday Art Walk by providing a free shuttle service from the Museum to downtown Springfield. The Museum will extend its hours tonight (Friday Aug.1st) from 5 PM until 9 PM and provide an ongoing shuttle that will stop at Fresh Gallery and ideaXfactory downtown. Visitors will be able to park at the Art Museum and visit its galleries and Gift Shop, which features local artists, before or after taking the shuttle to downtown Springfield. Visitors to downtown will also be able to take the shuttle to and from Fresh Gallery, ideaXfactory, and the Museum. The Museum will continue this service for the September Art Walk, then resume the shuttle in May 2015.
Also, Art Walk will continue its new event, Second Saturday, on Saturday, Aug. 9.
For a complete listing call 862-2787 ext.25 or visit www.ffaw.org.