The requested resource (/media/ksfr/header/pb/header.html) is not available
Last updated 9:13AM ET
June 24, 2018
Search NewsRoom
Search NewsRoom
go
Advanced Search
Tools
Tools
KSFR Local
KSFR Local
First News: Santa Fe City Hall mulls proposal to ban retailers from using plastic bags. (listen)
(2012-08-15)
(KSFR) - Making the rounds at Santa Fe city hall is a proposal to ban retail outlets from offering plastic bags to shoppers. It's the second time in the last few years the question has come up. But the notion doesn't have the backing yet of any member of city council nor from the mayor. It's being discussed by staff of the Economic Development Department and the city's Business and Quality of Life Committee. The initial idea is to ban most plastic bags and require retailers to charge a fee for paper bags.

The Public Regulation Commission has approved a plan by PNM to add a surcharge to customers' electric bills. The company says it will be used to cover the cost of adding more renewable energy sources to its mix of fuels. PNM says adding a number of new solar energy facilities last year cost $95 million. The extra fee would amount to about $1.40 extra a month for customers.

Ahead of this weekend's 91st annual Indian Market, the city of Santa Fe has announced special event parking and transportation arrangements. All city-owned parking lots and garages will be open and will charge $10 per car. The flat rate at the Railyard will be $5 per car and will offer free pick-up shuttles. Santa Fe Trails will offer special $2 round-trip bus runs to downtown from the free parking lot at Santa Fe Place Mall. The city says there'll be 716 artist booths representing about 1200 artists. Past events have drawn upward of 100,000 visitors to Santa Fe.

A joint meeting today of both Santa Fe City & County will hear further discussion of annexation plans. It's a continuation of the discussion at last month's meeting and today's agenda includes briefings on fire services, road maintenance and water & waste plans. The 5:30 meeting at County offices on Grant Avenue will also allow for public comment before examining the next steps toward annexation. The plan was put forth back in 2008 and calls for the city to integrate about 10,000 county acres mostly on the southwest side.

An Ojo Caliente man, acquitted some years ago of a 2005 murder charge, now faces life in prison for the killing of 2 people last year in Rio Arriba County. 29-year-old Donald Ferran was convicted of murdering Sarah Salazar and Joey Maestas in March of 2011. Their bodies were discovered in Maestas' car which the assailant had set afire at a rest stop along US 285. The Journal Santa Fe says that immediately following Monday's verdict in the case, the judge sentenced Ferran to two consecutive life terms. There's no word yet if defense attorneys will file an appeal.

A heads up' to Santa Fe area motorists as today marks the start of the new school year. Drivers are urged to be mindful of school crossing zones and speed limits as well as stop signs in school neighborhoods.

Weather for Santa Fe - mostly sunny today with highs in the upper 80s. There's a 30% chance for isolated thundershowers this afternoon, decreasing to 20% this evening. Partly sunny tomorrow with a 40-to-50% chance for precipitation. Slightly cooler with temperatures near seasonal norms in the low 80s. That pattern should persist through the weekend.
© Copyright 2018, KSFR