The requested resource (/media/ksfr/header/pb/header.html) is not available
Last updated 12:31PM ET
July 22, 2018
Search NewsRoom
Search NewsRoom
go
Advanced Search
Tools
Tools
KSFR Local
KSFR Local
First News: Santa Fe Police have a new report showing a 5% spike in burglaries over 2011 levels. (listen)
(2012-08-03)
(KSFR) - A new report says Santa Fe burglaries are up this year. The report covers the first 7 months of this year compared to first 7 months of last year and finds that burglaries are running 5% higher. Santa Fe Police say there have been more than 1,600 burglaries so far this year. Commercial and auto thefts are down substantially but home burglaries have spiked. The biggest jump in this year's numbers happened in May, before the police department began a concerted anti- crime effort. That resulted in July's rate declining by more than 25% compared to a year ago.

A former Santa Fe Schools bus driver who pleaded guilty to multiple counts of inappropriate physical contact with young female students will not serve jail time. Instead, 55-year-old Martin Gonzales will participate in a six-month, inpatient offender program and will also permanently register as a sex offender. He was arrested in May of 2011 after student cellphone video showed him squeezing the thighs of two 13 year old girls. In subsequent investigation, Gonzales admitted also groping a clothed 8 year old. The district court judge in the case has ordered Gonzales to be on probation with GPS monitoring for 5-to-20 years.

New Mexico's 8th annual back-to-school-tax-free weekend is underway as of today and runs through Sunday. The 2005 Richardson administration law allows consumers to buy certain items without paying the gross receipts tax. The state estimates retail sales will increase by $25 million and that consumers will save $4 million in taxes. Among the hundreds of non-taxable items are clothing and footwear of $100 or less and computers of $1,000 or less.

Protestors are planning weekend events in Los Alamos as the 67th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima is noted Monday, August 6th. Los Alamos was the seat of work that led to America developing and ultimately using the atomic bomb credited with Japan's surrender in the 2nd World War. A rally on Sunday is set for Ashley Pond. LANL employees have been warned of the impending demonstrations and been given an admonition to not engage in confrontations with protestors.

***
Use 7:29 Kevin Washburn, dean of the University of New Mexico School of Law has been nominated by President Obama for the position of Asst. Secretary of Indian Affairs for the Interior Department. Senators Bingaman and Udall both praised the choice. Washburn is a member of the Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma.

The Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos is inviting the public to attend a special event to mark NASA's Mars Curiosity Rover expedition scheduled to touchdown on the Red Planet Sunday at 11:30 PM local time. While waiting for news about the landing of the SUV-sized craft, visitors will learn about the Los Alamos National Laboratories technologies on board. A nearly life-sized 3-dimensional stereo poster of Curiosity will be on view that interacts with iPhones and iPads. The museum will show the landing live via NASA TV.

Weather for Santa Fe - mostly sunny today with a high in the upper 80s. There's a 20% chance for an afternoon or evening shower. Precipitation chances rise markedly tomorrow with a 30% chance by day, rising to 50% Saturday evening. Sunday sees highs in the low 80s under partly cloudy skies with a 40% chance for thunderstorms.
© Copyright 2018, KSFR